Francis-Barnett Owners Club Forum

Welcome to The FBOC Forum which is open to all, but you must become a registered member, there is no charge for registering. But please remember the Club cannot exist without paying Members, so please consider joining the Club as a full paid member and help keep the Francis-Barnett name alive.

Joining the Francis-Barnett Owners Club could not be easier. Goto the club's website www.Francis-Barnett.co.uk
To join on-line click on the "Join On-line" button in the menu at the top of the page.
For those that would like to join in the traditional way again goto www.Francis-Barnett.co.uk and scroll down to middle page paragraph titled "Join the Club" just click on the learn more link further below and print off the application form. All information is contained in the form with address and membership fees.
Come and join one of the most friendly classic bike clubs around and help to keep the Francis-Barnett name alive.
Francis-Barnett Owners Club Forum

The Forum of the Francis-Barnett Owners Club. Keeping Alive a Living Legend.

Latest topics

» green paint colour
Falcon 62? owner in Tampa, Florida EmptyToday at 7:28 pm by wilson44153

» Plover Log Book.
Falcon 62? owner in Tampa, Florida EmptyToday at 9:22 am by Falcon 58

Falcon 62? owner in Tampa, Florida EmptyYesterday at 7:41 pm by Daminutt

» frame number
Falcon 62? owner in Tampa, Florida EmptyThu Nov 07, 2019 1:34 pm by wilson44153

» Falcon 62? owner in Tampa, Florida
Falcon 62? owner in Tampa, Florida EmptyTue Nov 05, 2019 10:32 am by stuart elkes

» Model 95 / Amc150 - real head scratcher
Falcon 62? owner in Tampa, Florida EmptyMon Nov 04, 2019 8:15 am by kerabo

» 9e gearbox main shaft.
Falcon 62? owner in Tampa, Florida EmptyTue Oct 29, 2019 9:45 pm by GrahamN

» Barnett & James
Falcon 62? owner in Tampa, Florida EmptyThu Oct 17, 2019 10:03 am by Bola

» Francis Barnett Merlin L51 in Oz
Falcon 62? owner in Tampa, Florida EmptyThu Oct 17, 2019 9:22 am by Donkeyhead

Falcon 62? owner in Tampa, Florida

PappaLove

Falcon 62? owner in Tampa, Florida Empty Falcon 62? owner in Tampa, Florida

Post  PappaLove on Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:06 pm

Hi/Hello,

I'm Steve and I used to be a 'Brit but my job relocated me to Tampa, Florida in 1989. In the contents of my relocation-move container shipment was a "basket-case" Francis Barnett Falcon that I had then recently acquired with the intention of restoring it.

Well 30 years have slipped by and I find myself recently retired with a little time on my hands and wanting to make a start on the restoration of my 'FannyB. First step, join the FBOC, check! Next step, find out exactly what model and year the bike is, so I can get some documentation and track down the missing parts.

I have the original brown UK Registration Book for my Francis Barnett which is document A035236. It lists the original Registration Mark as “WRB 806”, although the “B” could be a “D” as the letter’s upper-loop is tiny. This “logbook” lists it as a Model “Falcon 62” with Frame Number “VTMT3217” and with engine number 3758 of rating “197cc”, original colour “black” and Date of Original Registration of ”1-January 1955” with a corresponding series of annual Road Tax payments.

However, when I sanded the remaining paint from the side of the headstock to reveal the frame number, the following appears from the stamping “VTM732178C”. The "V" prior to the "TM" seems to have been stamped by a screwdriver type tool and is I think not original. There is no "VTM" in either the Roy Bacon book “Villiers Singles and Twins” nor online at
    https://cybermotorcycle.com/marques/francis-barnett/francis-barnett-serial-numbers.htm
    The "TM" prefix without the leading “V” would make it a 1953 model 197 54?
    It's engine type should be a Villiers 6E (3 speed) of serial number prefix 207A?

Any help to identify or verify the correct year and model would be appreciated!

It is my plan to use the bike to contest the AHRMA (American Historic Racing Motorcycle Association) national series of vintage trials in their "lightweight rigid" class. I used to do a bit of pre '65 trials in the UK, so that's my plan for retirement-fitness.

Feel free to say "hi" or pass-on any advice or tips.

Steve Loveridge

PS. My daughter's sorority sisters from her US university coined the nickname "Papa Love" from my last name which is actually "Loveridge". As a "pimp name" the nickname and hence my FBOC Forum Handle have stuck.
    fulmar88
    fulmar88

Falcon 62? owner in Tampa, Florida Empty Re: Falcon 62? owner in Tampa, Florida

Post  fulmar88 on Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:19 am

Hi Steve,
    Can't help with much but can comfirm the likely registration. WRB 806 issued in Derbyshire starting in 1954. WRD 806 was issued in Reading in 1960 so the former seems likely to be correct. Once the forum wakes up I'm sure there will be help come along. Your engine number would usually have the format 123X-1234 and is usually stamped across the crankcase halves at one of the frame mounting points if it's not on a plate on the chaincase side. I would expect your frame number to only have five numbers so should be two, three or four letters followed by five numbers with perhaps a final letter (usually a colour code) so eg ABCD12345A.

regards,
    Steve.
    piston 197
    piston 197

Falcon 62? owner in Tampa, Florida Empty FALCON 62

Post  piston 197 on Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:25 pm

I have already emailed Steve and we think we have it sorted it appears to be 1954, trials 62 registered in Derbyshire on January the first 1955, would have expected it to be a UTM number, the trials model was available special order in 1955, though not listed, it was also available in a swing arm frame supplied as a Model 72 swing arm scrambler in trials trim with option of lights again not catalogued.
    I have one new old stock model 62 rigid chainguard left if you are missing one, as it tended to be one of the parts that got "lost"
    JH
    PappaLove

Post  PappaLove on Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:58 pm

Yes please I would like the NOS chain guard.
    piston 197
    piston 197

Falcon 62? owner in Tampa, Florida Empty chainguard

Post  piston 197 on Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:59 pm

I will send you a p.m. you may not be able to reply to it until you have 5 posts, so i will send you my Email address
    JH
    stuart elkes

Falcon 62? owner in Tampa, Florida Empty Amal carburettor

Post  stuart elkes on Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:44 pm

Amal 375/37 fitted to 15t engine starts first kick will only rev no tick over stops after about 30 seconds any ideas what the problem is? Stuart Elkes
    piston 197
    piston 197

Falcon 62? owner in Tampa, Florida Empty carburettor

Post  piston 197 on Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:01 pm

Pilot circuit blocked ? take out pilot jet and blow through both the jet and the body housing, there is a small hole in the mouth of the carb, about 3/8" in from the flange, make sure this is clear ?
    JH
    stuart elkes

Post  stuart elkes on Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:32 am

Thanks JH I will take the carb off strip and clean it.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:01 pm