Francis-Barnett Owners Club Forum

Welcome to The FBOC Forum which is open to all, but you must become a registered member, there is no charge for registering. But please remember the Club cannot exist without paying Members, so please consider joining the Club as a full paid member and help keep the Francis-Barnett name alive.

Joining the Francis-Barnett Owners Club could not be easier. Goto the club's website www.Francis-Barnett.co.uk
To join on-line click on the "Join On-line" button in the menu at the top of the page.
For those that would like to join in the traditional way again goto www.Francis-Barnett.co.uk and scroll down to middle page paragraph titled "Join the Club" just click on the learn more link further below and print off the application form. All information is contained in the form with address and membership fees.
Come and join one of the most friendly classic bike clubs around and help to keep the Francis-Barnett name alive.
Francis-Barnett Owners Club Forum

The Forum of the Francis-Barnett Owners Club. Keeping Alive a Living Legend.

Latest topics

» green paint colour
Francis Barnett Merlin L51 in Oz EmptyToday at 7:28 pm by wilson44153

» Plover Log Book.
Francis Barnett Merlin L51 in Oz EmptyToday at 9:22 am by Falcon 58

Francis Barnett Merlin L51 in Oz EmptyYesterday at 7:41 pm by Daminutt

» frame number
Francis Barnett Merlin L51 in Oz EmptyThu Nov 07, 2019 1:34 pm by wilson44153

» Falcon 62? owner in Tampa, Florida
Francis Barnett Merlin L51 in Oz EmptyTue Nov 05, 2019 10:32 am by stuart elkes

» Model 95 / Amc150 - real head scratcher
Francis Barnett Merlin L51 in Oz EmptyMon Nov 04, 2019 8:15 am by kerabo

» 9e gearbox main shaft.
Francis Barnett Merlin L51 in Oz EmptyTue Oct 29, 2019 9:45 pm by GrahamN

» Barnett & James
Francis Barnett Merlin L51 in Oz EmptyThu Oct 17, 2019 10:03 am by Bola

» Francis Barnett Merlin L51 in Oz
Francis Barnett Merlin L51 in Oz EmptyThu Oct 17, 2019 9:22 am by Donkeyhead

Francis Barnett Merlin L51 in Oz

Donkeyhead

Francis Barnett Merlin L51 in Oz Empty Francis Barnett Merlin L51 in Oz

Post  Donkeyhead on Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:40 am

Just saying hello from Oz, I originally "restored" this bike with a bit of help from my Dad back around 1970, it came from a farming friend and was complete though not running, I remember spending a lot of time on hand painting it and mucking around getting the lights working, I was only around 12 at the time, and with Dad's help I got it running and new seats made and returned it to the farm where it came from so I could ride it during my upcoming summer holiday.

I remember I'd misplaced, or incorrectly placed the gearbox main shaft thrust washer so I could rarely get it into 3rd gear, but 1st and 2nd gear worked fine I had some fun riding it for a few weeks around the bush though it was a heavy, slow bike compared to the new Japanese dirt bikes on the market then, and I soon lost interest in riding it, so it sat in the back of the farm shed till around 2005 when that farm was sold and I gained possession of it again.

The bike has been sitting in the corner of one of my old sheds since 2005, though every few years I'd squirt some oil down the spark plug hole and gently roll the engine over, and just recently I decided it was time to bring her back to life as a nice memorial project for my Dad and his best mate, both of whom have passed away, and a internet search for Francis Barnett led me here to this Club, so hopefully with your help I can sort out the missing bits, and get educated.

The frame number is NK43284, the Villiers 9D engine number is 597/29849, I'm not sure what year it is but think it is a L51 Merlin? It will need new tyres for sure, but other small items I'll need include

Aircleaner for "Lightweight Pattern" carb, type 3/1
    Fuel "tickler" with spring and cotter pin for that carb, plus gaskets
    A new headlight lens, I reckon the old one was around 4-1/2" in diameter
    New rubber foot pegs
    New hand grips
    Possible new cables like throttle and front brake

I have not pulled the head off yet, I did back in 1970 and cleaned the carbon out, but the other day I spun the motor over using an electric drill and was pleased to see a nice blue spark at the plug, and the compression was around 90 pounds with a few squirts of engine oil down the cylinder, so there is potential she might fire up once I finish prepping her, but from my experience restoring antique Caterpillar crawlers from the 1920's and 1930's, old magneto's can quickly fail after decades of sitting, and fuel systems can quickly choke up with flaky crud, so I'll be prepared for the worst, she might need a rebore or a set of new rings, only time will tell.

Hopefully I can get my photo's up, please excuse the mess in that shed, I'll move the bike into the "workshop" zone once I get an idea of the parts I need for this bike and get them ordered, I'm hoping most bits will be available out of the U.K.
    All the best
    Mike in OzFrancis Barnett Merlin L51 in Oz Img_0310
    Francis Barnett Merlin L51 in Oz Img_0311
    fulmar88
    fulmar88

Francis Barnett Merlin L51 in Oz Empty Re: Francis Barnett Merlin L51 in Oz

Post  fulmar88 on Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:24 am

Welcome to the club Mike. I'm not that familiar with early post war models but I think your bike is 1948 or thereabouts. The first letter denotes year and this bike states 1948:

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24885/lot/474/

You can get all engine spares here:

https://villiersservices.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8

Cycle parts are a bit more tricky but do turn up now and then.

You should be able to get new cables made up by JJ Cables, Lighthorne, Warwick, +44 1926 651470, but new old stock originals do sometimes appear on ebay.

regards,
    Steve.
    Donkeyhead

Post  Donkeyhead on Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:22 am

Hello Steve, thanks for the welcome and link to that lovely bike sold by Bonhams and Villiers Services, I'll be in contact with Villiers Services for sure, I took the end off the gearbox this afternoon and discovered no oil at all in there, just some rusty dry crud and some bad water damage to small sections of teeth of two of the lower shaft gears, the shaft itself is fine.

We had a flood go through the property back in 2011 and I assume that is when the water got in the gearbox through the old hand made gasket I made from a cereal box back in 1970, obviously the gear oil must have simply dripped out of the box unnoticed between 1970 and 2011 , I know I had that end cover on and off 20 times back then trying to find 3rd gear! I mentioned a gearbox thrust washer in my first post being a possible issue with the missing 3rd gear but looking again at my old reference book, The Villiers Engine by B.E. Browning, I see that thrust washer is up on the top shaft and I have never removed that shaft, so I'm wondering if I put a gear in backwards way back in 1970.

I know I had 3rd gear when we first got the bike running but I reckon I had the clutch plate re-corked and I definitely remember getting some short clutch push rods made by my cousin of various lengths that I had to experiment with to find the right length, so it's quite possible I mucked up refitting gears back then, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer at the best of times, hence my avatar!
    All the best
    Mike

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:49 pm