» Cylinder head.
Plunger for quadrant 8E EmptyYesterday at 5:59 pm by Rex Stewart

» Villiers 9E / 30 series lighting plug
Plunger for quadrant 8E EmptyYesterday at 9:09 am by John Wakefield

» Whitch side is the left hand thread
Plunger for quadrant 8E EmptyYesterday at 8:16 am by Kevin B Smith

» 6E clutch plate etc
Plunger for quadrant 8E EmptyYesterday at 5:58 am by blackjak

» Help required with Falcon Trials project (scratch build)
Plunger for quadrant 8E EmptyThu Jul 18, 2019 7:52 pm by Nigel Moth

» Fulmar seat
Plunger for quadrant 8E EmptyThu Jul 18, 2019 6:55 pm by piston 197

» Fulmar Coil Problem
Plunger for quadrant 8E EmptyThu Jul 18, 2019 5:15 pm by Rex Stewart

Plunger for quadrant 8E EmptyThu Jul 18, 2019 10:45 am by stevenbell

» Francis Barnett Green
Plunger for quadrant 8E EmptyWed Jul 17, 2019 8:14 pm by Nigel Moth

Plunger for quadrant 8E

Go down

Plunger for quadrant 8E Empty Plunger for quadrant 8E

Post  blackjak on Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:02 am

Plunger for quadrant 8E 21e6fxw

Hope this image has loaded. Two questions. The first is I ordered a "plunger for quadrant part number E7209" from Villiers and this is what I got. They call it a Plunger, gear-selector. I know it was a bad line on the phone and there may have been some misunderstanding as to what I actually wanted but can anyone tell me what it is? I have the 3 speed box so I was thinking it may be the plunger for a 4 speed box.

Also on the photo is the kick start plunger spring. It has a flat and a domed end. I presume the domed end goes out towards the pawl. Also I found a ball bearing in the hole for the plunger. Is this something someone has just but in to take slack up in the spring (I have a new spring) or an actual part?

Cheers
blackjak.

blackjak

Back to top Go down

Plunger for quadrant 8E Empty gear selection plunger

Post  keith livingstone on Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:28 pm

Hi blackjac

Plunger
I'm always found Steve and the guys from Villier's Services knowledgeable so I'm pretty sure from memory what you got from Villier's Services is correct.

At the bottom of the gear selector arm from the gearbox near the pivot is the gear quadrant I think. The knife edge on the plunger engages with the notches on the quadrant as the gear indexes. For this to work the spring goes into the hollow tubular end on the left of you picture. The spring forces the knife edge against the notches in the gear quadrant. I have both 6E and 8E engines both use the same system except the 8E has an additional smaller spring which provides a side thrust to keep the plunger against the side of the quadrant. The small spring should go in a small bored hole you would see looking down from above the plunger in your picture. As a result the 8E, although more reliable, is more fiddly than the 6E. When you remove the gearbox cover usually the little spring applying the side thrust legs it across the garage floor. Will see if I have any drawings from the service sheets that show an exploded view of plunger assembly to scan and forward .
Best wishes
Keith

keith livingstone
keith livingstone

Back to top Go down

Plunger for quadrant 8E Empty Re: Plunger for quadrant 8E

Post  blackjak on Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:18 am

Thanks Keith. I did ring Steve last Saturday and had a chat to him about the plunger and he again was very helpful. Clearly my mistake and nothing to do with Steve or the team in what I required. As I said in my last post it was a bad phone line. It is the plunger for an 8E however there had been some confusion on my behalf as to which one I required. We sorted out what I needed and he was posting it on Monday for me. You are correct about the spring. I had ordered one and when I was cleaning out the gearbox I found the original in the bottom corner of the box. I have got the kickstart working although the engine does not kick over every time. I believe from reading an old post this can be due to clutch plate pressure adjustment so will work on this when the part arrives and the gearbox is completely fitted back together correctly.. It is definitely not the splines in the kickstart as it is a near new one.
Cheers
backpack

blackjak

Back to top Go down

Plunger for quadrant 8E Empty gearbox indexer

Post  keith livingstone on Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:01 am

Hi backpac
Sounds like you're well on the way to getting up and running. Have attached copy of exploded view which shows items 19, 20 & 21 the plunger and the 2 spring positions.  As I said it can be fiddly.  Also looks like you have the kickstart working too. The 'tooth' on the kickstart is pushed out by spring and bullet and engages well.  Any 'missing' when kickstarting  is down to clutch slip I always found.  Worn clutch corks most likely.  Villier's clutches are primitive but very reliable and effective.  I use 20/50 oil in the chain case and have no problems.  Just had my 53 James Captain and 6E engine out for a run yesterday.  Hope you're up and running soon
Best wishes
Plunger for quadrant 8E 8e_exp10
Plunger for quadrant 8E J7_00210
Keith
keith livingstone
keith livingstone

Back to top Go down

Plunger for quadrant 8E Empty Re: Plunger for quadrant 8E

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down