» falcan win trophy
Front forks  EmptyWed May 15, 2019 11:02 pm by keith livingstone

» 125 Falcon ?
Front forks  EmptyWed May 15, 2019 9:20 pm by FrankG

Front forks

Go down

Front forks  Empty Front forks

Post  intrudin on Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:42 am

Darn i have it a stumbling block on my cruiser 80 after a struggle and bouncing ball bearings i finally got the forks fitted then fitted the wheel.so i think great but then i found the forks will not rebound they are seized hard .. the forks have been rebuilt and do have oil...Any ideas on whats up.
intrudin
intrudin

Back to top Go down

Front forks  Empty forks

Post  keith livingstone on Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:15 am

Hi
Certainly a strange one!
It's only an outside chance but have you all the correct spacers on the axle between the forks and the wheel but I'm sure you've already checked this?.

Best wishes
Keith
keith livingstone
keith livingstone

Back to top Go down

Front forks  Empty Front forks

Post  FB vincent on Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:58 pm

Further to what Keith says, the front spindle clamp bush on the non brake side MUST be loose to allow the forks to take up their correct position following removal of the front wheel. 'Take the bike off the centre stand and astride the machine, depress the fork vigorously once or twice to enable the left leg to assume its natural position on the axle nut and then refit the pinch bolt'.............. (quote from instruction book).

The spindle clamp bush is a part of the front stand assembly, and it really needs to be knocked partly out to ensure it is not gripping the axle.

Sandy

FB vincent

Back to top Go down

Front forks  Empty Re: Front forks

Post  intrudin on Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:22 am

FB vincent wrote:Further to what Keith says, the front spindle clamp bush on the non brake side MUST be loose to allow the forks to take up their correct position following removal of the front wheel. 'Take the bike off the centre stand and astride the machine, depress the fork vigorously once or twice to enable the left leg to assume its natural position on the axle nut and then refit the pinch bolt'.............. (quote from instruction book).

The spindle clamp bush is a part of the front stand assembly, and it really needs to be knocked partly out to ensure it is not gripping the axle.

Sandy
Thanks for the procedure instructions. i let the tubes soak in oil for a day then drained and filled with correct amount. gave them a very vigorous work out, it seemed to loosen well. the spacer i installed where reverse of my tear down (lots of pics) mounted the wheel and done the necessary pumping up and down things are taking shape ............I have a question i removed the bushes are these tapped in then pinched tight by the front stand assembly??

Cheers jimd
intrudin
intrudin

Back to top Go down

Front forks  Empty FB Front Forks

Post  FB vincent on Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:24 am

If you look at the clamps you will see that there is a small chamfer at one end, this is positioned so that it fits against the axle. Yes, the front stand bolts pull up the complete assembly and locks the fork to the axle to prevent lateral movement.

For info, there are three variants of the front fork, I am assuming that you have the knock out spindle version. From 1963, the fork end design was changed although the principle remained the same.

Sandy

FB vincent

Back to top Go down

Front forks  Empty Re: Front forks

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down