Latest topics
» Whitch side is the left hand thread
Running rich EmptyToday at 6:12 am by fulmar88

» 6E clutch plate etc
Running rich EmptyToday at 5:58 am by blackjak

» Villiers 9E / 30 series lighting plug
Running rich EmptyYesterday at 8:07 pm by denman

» Help required with Falcon Trials project (scratch build)
Running rich EmptyYesterday at 7:52 pm by Nigel Moth

» Fulmar seat
Running rich EmptyYesterday at 6:55 pm by piston 197

» Fulmar Coil Problem
Running rich EmptyYesterday at 5:15 pm by Rex Stewart

» Cylinder head.
Running rich EmptyYesterday at 4:51 pm by piston 197

Running rich EmptyYesterday at 10:45 am by stevenbell

» Francis Barnett Green
Running rich EmptyWed Jul 17, 2019 8:14 pm by Nigel Moth

Running rich

Go down

Running rich Empty Running rich

Post  Mark9 on Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:07 pm

I recently had my James Captain rebored and fitted electrex electronic ignition, it’s starting well hot or cold but feels a bit “boggy” on the throttle and the plug looks black (done about 50 miles), I set the needle to 1.95 inches and the mixture screw is one and a quarter turns out, I am thinking of adjusting the needle to 2 inches out but thought I’d ask advice first, should I go for a lesser adjustment first ?, thanks Mark.

Mark9

Back to top Go down

Running rich Empty James Captain - running rich

Post  FB vincent on Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:54 am

You have not told us the model year of your James. I presume it is pre-1960, in which case it will be fitted with a Villiers 8E or 10E engine (AMC 20T engines were fitted 1960 to 1966).

If you think the engine is running rich, on throttle range 1/4 to 3/4 open, then by screwing down the needle you will be weakening the mixture over this range. The James/FB/Villiers instruction manuals contain several pages of information about tuning the S25 carburettor, and you might be advised to get a copy of this. Since the engine has recently been rebored, you should be cautious about weakening the mixture while running in.

FB vincent

Back to top Go down

Running rich Empty Re: Running rich

Post  Mark9 on Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:06 am

Thanks for the reply, yes the recent rebore is why I was being cautious, I went ahead and moved the needle to 2 inches, plug colour is now good with a tan coloured centre, it’s running a tad better, I’m keeping it to 40mph for the first hundred miles or so and keeping off long straights, I’ll look at the timing again as well, unfortunately the instructions that are supplied with the electrex kit aren’t worth the paper they are printed on according to Steve at Villiers spares so I think it will be trial and error and use of a timing strobe light, I’ve also got to be careful not to expect to much of it if course, 7.5 bhp is always going to be a case of coaxing and pre planning!

Mark9

Back to top Go down

Running rich Empty Eletrex

Post  kerabo on Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:01 pm

The instructions are not that bad. I can tell you that if you use a timing light it should run well. My 9E went like a rocket after doing it that way. It's a problem getting a single cylinder timing light but if you can do it.

With them firing every stroke it thinks its a 4 stroke twin.

Ken
kerabo
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87..1936 Cruiser 39. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark9 on Wed May 01, 2019 5:34 pm

Thanks for the reply Ken, the instructions show the armature plate fitted 180 degrees out, that wasn’t my problem though, if I remember correctly the instructions said set the FA mark at 4.36 mm before TDC, I couldn’t achieve this, the most I could get was around 3mm, so I called Steve and he said ignore the instructions they are wrong, just set the T Mark at TDC, I did this and it starts fine and runs OK but I think the timing light will improve things further, I didn’t realise I’d need a single cylinder specific one though, I’ve got a cheap eBay special that has a ht lead clamp and I connect up to an old car battery, it did a good job on my SOHC 750 four but I guess it may not be suitable for the Villiers as you say above, I’ll have a look at it in a few weeks and see what happens, may need a new timing light then, thanks

Mark9

Back to top Go down

Post  kerabo on Wed May 01, 2019 5:44 pm

That's strange. I have fitted these to a 8E a 9E and a Bantam and all went according to the instructions. My timing light is an all singing all dancing thing and you have to set the cylinders , the lowest was I think 4 so it shows the engine running at a different speed to its true speed. I was wanting to see it advance.
Anyway on my 9E when it was set correctly going round LockNess on the rally it really did go so well. Eventually my big end failed and when I rebuilt it but not using the timing light that power had gone. Sold the bike now.

Regards Ken

Sent from Topic'it App
kerabo
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87..1936 Cruiser 39. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down