Latest topics
» Bit further along.
Good news for 2 strokes in London ULEZ EmptyYesterday at 6:47 pm by colk2004

» Stafford Show
Good news for 2 strokes in London ULEZ EmptyYesterday at 6:41 pm by stuart elkes

Good news for 2 strokes in London ULEZ EmptyMon Apr 22, 2019 1:38 pm by stevenbell

» Running rich
Good news for 2 strokes in London ULEZ EmptyMon Apr 22, 2019 9:06 am by Mark9

» Front forks
Good news for 2 strokes in London ULEZ EmptyMon Apr 22, 2019 12:42 am by intrudin

» 1959 Cruiser 80 in Cheffins auction 27th April
Good news for 2 strokes in London ULEZ EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 3:35 pm by John Wakefield

» Parts required for 1962 FB Cruiser 89
Good news for 2 strokes in London ULEZ EmptyThu Apr 18, 2019 11:13 am by John Wakefield

» 389/27 Cruiser 84 Carb.
Good news for 2 strokes in London ULEZ EmptyThu Apr 18, 2019 10:41 am by piston 197

» S25 Carburettor
Good news for 2 strokes in London ULEZ EmptyTue Apr 16, 2019 10:08 pm by Mikexyz

Good news for 2 strokes in London ULEZ

Go down

Good news for 2 strokes in London ULEZ Empty Good news for 2 strokes in London ULEZ

Post  John Wakefield on Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:31 pm

https://scooterlab.uk/ulez-good-news-for-london-2-strokes-news/?fbclid=IwAR3jOSeXBYocjHVqMx_owo7WP6H_HUQNKvWbv0Qc_Rd2X9GSs12pyj_S0tk
This article makes interesting reading, as it appears that most two stokes will pass a test to be exempt from the £12.50 per day London ULEZ charge. Of course our bikes are exempt anyway as they are on Historic Tax, but if you have a later two stroke ie a scooter, or Jawa then it may be exempt after a one off £175 test

Last edited by John Wakefield on Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : new link added as first did not work)

John Wakefield

Back to top Go down

Good news for 2 strokes in London ULEZ Empty Ulez

Post  piston 197 on Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:02 pm

There is a discussion on the VMCC forum with regard to this issue and a link to check exemption status for ULEZ and LEZ, on checking a couple of my bikes on this link ( two stroke Historic vehicles) they qualify for LEZ, but not ULEZ ???
JH
piston 197
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Good news for 2 strokes in London ULEZ Empty Re: Good news for 2 strokes in London ULEZ

Post  John Wakefield on Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:24 pm

Just checked my 1965 Greeves and comes up with following, in first it says it IS subject to charge and in second that its NOT.  Exclamation  This is the link to check https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/check-your-vehicle-35896

ULEZ charge applies for this vehicle
According to our records your vehicle is subject to the £12.50 daily ULEZ charge. This could be because the vehicle’s details as registered with us show it doesn’t meet the required ULEZ standards.

The £12.50 charge also applies automatically if your vehicle is registered outside the United Kingdom and we don't hold its details.

If you believe your vehicle does meet the required standards, register it with us.

This checker only checks the emissions status of the vehicle - it does not take into account any exemption or discount that may apply. To find out if you need to pay the charge, go to ‘Pay to drive in London ’.

No LEZ charge due for this vehicle
This vehicle either meets the required emission standards, is exempt from the scheme or is subject to a 100% discount.

John Wakefield

Back to top Go down

Good news for 2 strokes in London ULEZ Empty ULEZ and LEZ

Post  piston 197 on Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:31 pm

No ,if what you are putting up there is correct it is exempt from LOW EMISSION ZONE and it is NOT exempt for the smaller ULTRA LOW EMISSION ZONE, i think you are confusing LEZ with ULEZ they are different.
If you enter a LEZ area you will be ok, if you enter a ULEZ area you will have to pay £12.50p or pay a £130 fine,
It all seems plain to me ?

Last edited by piston 197 on Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
piston 197
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Good news for 2 strokes in London ULEZ Empty Re: Good news for 2 strokes in London ULEZ

Post  John Wakefield on Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:34 pm

Yes its correct (just left out reg no for obvious reasons) So it appears HISTORIC TAXED motorcycles are not exempt from ULEZ, only LEZ
So to get exempt it would have to undergo and pass the £175 emission test.

Last edited by John Wakefield on Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

John Wakefield

Back to top Go down

Good news for 2 strokes in London ULEZ Empty Finally

Post  piston 197 on Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:44 pm

John Wakefield wrote:Yes its correct (just left out reg no for obvious reasons) So it appears HISTORIC TAXED motorcycles are not exempt from ULEZ, only LEZ

Yes looks like you finally have got it ? as i said in the first reply, as you demonstrated and misunderstood in your second post, and as i explained in my second post !
ULEZ and LEZ are different, i was going to edit what you said to make it correct, but left it there as an example so others do not get confused by it  and explain why it was wrong.
They do not want old smoky vehicles 2 stroke or 4 stroke in the ULEZ areas, Historic Vehicles do NOT have automatic exemption in ULEZ areas, but are exempt from charge in LEZ areas
JH
piston 197
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Post  John Wakefield on Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:42 pm

Having looked again at the TfL web site https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone/discounts-and-exemptions it would appear that HISTORIC VEHICLES are exempt from the ULEZ

Historic vehicles
You can apply to stop paying vehicle tax if your vehicle was built more than 40 years ago. This date moves forward on a 40-year rolling system. Assuming the rules stay the same, when the ULEZ launches in April 2019, vehicles built before 1979 will be eligible to apply for historic vehicle tax class.

All vehicles that have a historic vehicle tax class will be exempt from the ULEZ. This tax class excludes any vehicle used commercially (for example, coffee vans or street food vans).

In line with the existing LEZ discount all vehicles registered before 1 January 1973 will be exempt from the ULEZ, regardless of commercial use or otherwise.

If your vehicle meets the above criteria and is registered in the UK, it is automatically exempt and you don't need to register with us. If your vehicle meets the above criteria but is registered outside the UK, you are also exempt, but will need to register with us. Details on how you can register will be available closer to the time.

John Wakefield

Back to top Go down

Good news for 2 strokes in London ULEZ Empty Contradictory legislation

Post  piston 197 on Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:03 pm

Reading the above you would think so, but there is contradictory information out there, it even contradicts itself as saying 40 years old ( before 1979) and before 1973 further down.
I would advise if venturing into this zone, apply and get confirmation before setting foot inside the ULEZ area ,as when i check my 1956 bike it says it is exempt in LEZ areas and NOT in ULEZ areas and regardless of what it says on-line, it will be using the same checker to send you a £130 fine, My 1956 (Historic Vehicle tax class) says NOT exempt in ULEZ areas and i would expect a fine if i went inside that area, i may be able to argue it, but arguing with officials and automated fines is usually a lose/lose situation.
Personally i would not risk it unless the checker said i WAS exempt and at the moment it does NOT inspite of what the article above says ?
JH
piston 197
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Post  John Wakefield on Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:15 pm

Yes very contradictory I think the problem may be that the vehicle checker connecting with DVLA database is not up to date, as someone on IKBA web site http://members5.boardhost.com/classicbikemart/ has checked his bikes and they come up in both LEZ and ULEZ as exempt. I seem to recall a similar problem when the LEZ and Congestion Charge came in. Like your bikes John my 1965 Greeves (long on Historic Tax) is only showing exempt in LEZ but not ULEZ
I note that the 59 Club are organising a ride in to St Pauls Cathedral on Sat 4th May https://www.the59club.co.uk/events Not sure how they are going to get round the problem.

John Wakefield

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down