» Cylinder head.
frame - frame number EmptyYesterday at 5:59 pm by Rex Stewart

» Villiers 9E / 30 series lighting plug
frame - frame number EmptyYesterday at 9:09 am by John Wakefield

» Whitch side is the left hand thread
frame - frame number EmptyYesterday at 8:16 am by Kevin B Smith

» 6E clutch plate etc
frame - frame number EmptyYesterday at 5:58 am by blackjak

» Help required with Falcon Trials project (scratch build)
frame - frame number EmptyThu Jul 18, 2019 7:52 pm by Nigel Moth

» Fulmar seat
frame - frame number EmptyThu Jul 18, 2019 6:55 pm by piston 197

» Fulmar Coil Problem
frame - frame number EmptyThu Jul 18, 2019 5:15 pm by Rex Stewart

frame - frame number EmptyThu Jul 18, 2019 10:45 am by stevenbell

» Francis Barnett Green
frame - frame number EmptyWed Jul 17, 2019 8:14 pm by Nigel Moth

frame number

Go down

frame - frame number Empty frame number

Post  Falconhead on Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:30 pm

Hi all. Im new to this here. I purchased 3 falcon 87s a few years back, 2 almost complete and 1 basket case, all as one lot. And all needing restoration. The frame nos are all the same 6534 H AB. I believe the A to be 1959 but not sure and puzzled why they have the same numbers. I could be wrong about models. But reading Arthur Gents book "FB The Complete Story" I think they are Falcon 87 with AMC 20T engine. Any help would be welcome.

Falconhead

Back to top Go down

frame - frame number Empty Re: frame number

Post  fulmar88 on Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:03 am

Hi, It sounds like you are reading a casting number if they are the same on all three frames. The casting numbers are raised whereas the frame number is stamped into the steering headstock on the left hand side. It should be two letters, 5 numbers, and perhaps with a one or two letter colour code at the end if the bikes are not the standard green but, say, black and white (BW).

Steve.
fulmar88
fulmar88

Back to top Go down

Post  Falconhead on Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:52 pm

Thanks Steve. I have found numbers on 2 of the frames ( CF 90977 and CF 90998 BW ). But on the third frame there is no trace of any number on the left hand side of the headstock. Would it be on any other part of the frame?

Falconhead

Back to top Go down

Post  fulmar88 on Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:31 pm

No it should be on the left hand side. If it has had a replacement frame part due to accident damage it may not have been re-stamped is the most plausible explanation. The third bike could be dated by colour scheme/tank/ toolbox line details I believe so a picture might help to narrow it down. You’ll probably have to wait a week to post a pic if you are a new forum member.

Steve.
fulmar88
fulmar88

Back to top Go down

frame - frame number Empty Frame number

Post  piston 197 on Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:01 pm

The first CF number is a 1961 Falcon 87 in Green made between August 1960 and July 1961,
The second Cf No. with the BF suffix is the same bike, same year, but with Black/white paint instead of the standard green
JH
piston 197
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Post  Falconhead on Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:59 am

Hello everyone, Steve, your theory on the frame being a replacement could be right. One of the frames is just a frame from the bastket case has a number and appears to have a bent down tube! And the frame without number is on a complete bike so maybe there was a swop in the past. I dont have any papers or history so just a guess. Thanks JH for decoding the number and telling me the year etc. Getting away from the frame, I need to find a new chrome rim and beam unit for the headlamp shell. Its the falcon 87 shell which houses the speedo , ammeter and 2 switches. It measures 5 and 3/4 inches in diameter where the rim fits on. I emailed Paul Goff with this measurement and he said his Lucas 5 and 3/4 rim would not fit so now im puzzled. Any ideas where i might correct rim and beam. Thanks.

Falconhead

Back to top Go down

Post  fulmar88 on Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:05 am

Falconhead wrote:Hello everyone,   Steve, your theory on the frame being a replacement could be right. One of the frames is just a frame from the bastket case has a number and appears to have a bent down tube! And the frame without number is on a complete bike so maybe there was a swop in the past. I dont have any papers or history so just a guess. Thanks JH for decoding the number and telling me the year etc.              Getting away from the frame,  I need to find a new chrome rim and beam unit for the headlamp shell.   Its the falcon 87 shell which houses the speedo , ammeter and 2 switches. It measures 5 and 3/4 inches in diameter where the rim fits on. I emailed Paul Goff with this measurement and he said his Lucas 5 and 3/4 rim would not fit so now im puzzled. Any ideas where i might correct rim and beam.   Thanks.                                                                                                            

You need a Wipac headlight for the Falcon 87. Part number S0507. These are a bit tricky to come by but do crop up now and then. The rim is part number S0066 and there is one on ebay at the moment for sale by Sandy (FBVincent) who is a member on here.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wipac-5-headlamp-rim-S0066-for-Francis-Barnett-James-and-other-motorcycles/173805662844?epid=26029032979&hash=item28779ff27c:g:nFoAAOSwzE5cX-zh:rk:1🇵🇫1&frcectupt=true

Steve.
fulmar88
fulmar88

Back to top Go down

frame - frame number Empty falcon headlight

Post  Falconhead on Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:28 pm

Thanks everyone. now i know what to look for.

Falconhead

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down